Tuesday, February 7

Which technologies do I need to know?

New programming languages, databases, productivity tools and ways of doing things are constantly being developed. It's impossible to become an expert in everything.

I've been trying to think which new things are merely hype, and which I should be learning about and getting to know.

To help work this out, I've come up with some questions I’m asking myself about technologies I'm considering.

Am I likely to be asked to use in the next 2 years?
  • Is the technology one that generates a lot of noise, or does anyone actually use it to make a living at the moment?

Is the technology easily learnable?
  • Is the only way to gain meaningful experience by using it on an enterprise class application?
  • Are books and web sites available to help learn it?
  • If I invest time learning skills in this technology, can the skills be transferred to something else?

Would I be able to persuade anyone to introduce this to help their business?
  • Are the benefits of the technology understandable by someone who isn’t interested in computer science?
  • Can a business case be made for the technology saving costs?
  • Can a business case be made for the technology reducing risks?
  • Can it be cheaply introduced on a small project?

How good is it for me?
  • Does it lead to a fun environment to work in?
  • Does it mean that I can achieve great results in a shorter time, allowing me to go home early?
  • Would it enhance my career prospects, salary or job security?

How would you rate the technologies you use or are interested in against these criteria?

No comments: